Many Mosman homeowners are animal lovers and despite being an urban centre, there are plenty of local highlights for our animal friends, in particular dogs.
Our area is home to a plentiful selection of green spaces and beaches, grooming salons and boutiques. To ensure your dog lives the good life, you’ll also find doggy daycare and pet-lodging services as well as pooch-friendly eateries.
Nothing spreads joy like a dog bounding along a beach or chasing other dogs in a park. Here are a few options to choose from when it comes to exercising your four-legged family member:
Rawson Park is great for giving your dog a good run. On and off-leash areas are clearly signposted and its popularity with other dog-walkers makes this park a perfect spot for some canine socialising.
Lawry Plunkett Reserve is a 4-hectare hidden gem where your dog can exercise freely off the leash at any time. Best of all, it’s right behind Balmoral Beach. You can stroll along one of Sydney’s most beautiful beach fronts afterwards and stop at the Beach House Café and Restaurant for a delicious Italian meal. Dogs are welcome at the outside area of this venue.
Dogs can also stretch their legs freely for most of the year at Reid Park, towards the southern end of Mosman. This leafy location is great for a family day out as it has a playground for the kids and a pleasant bushland reserve to explore.
If your darling doggie loves a splash and a swim, try Sirius Cove Reserve at any time during the week and before 9am or after 4pm on weekends. This quiet sheltered beach near Taronga Zoo is the perfect spot for a picnic and a doggy dip in the shallow water.
Clifton Gardens Reserve, with its stunning water views is a popular on-leash option during weekends. It’s also ideal for off-leash frolicking and swimming during the week before 9am and after 4pm in winter and 6pm in summer.
Take a look at the Mosman Council website for more information on places to parade your pooch on and off the leash.
After a pleasant walk or run with your dog, it’s time for coffee and a bite to eat at one of the following locations:
- Frenchys Café – Not far from Middle Head, this quaint café has stunning views out towards the heads. Enjoy croissants, crêpes and croque madames on the large open patio while your dog snoozes at your feet.
Visit Frenchys Café website.
- Jimmy’s on the Spit – Jimmy’s is perfect to drop in for a spot of breakfast or just to grab a coffee after a bit of doggy exercise at Spit Reserve on the beach.
Visit Jimmy’s on the Spit website.
There are also a few dog-friendly eateries to choose from in town on or near Military Road. The Penny Royal has amazing coffee and Café Mosman is known for its friendly staff and shady courtyard.
Finding a good pet grooming place where your dog can be pampered and cared for in comfort and safety is so important.
Mosman has a great range of pet care businesses to choose from that offer everything from puppy training to holiday care to a boutique with all things canine or feline.
- Puppuccino Pet Spa – Using eco-friendly and organic products for dog grooming and spa treatments, the staff here also offer doggy daycare and a luxury retail boutique “catering for body, mind and bowl”.
Visit Puppuccino Pet Spa website.
- Mosman Paws – Here you can find a nanny for your dog, organise personal training or book Fido in for a blueberry facial. The unique valet service is also useful.
Visit Mosman Paws website.
- Moggy & Mutt – This pet salon and deli offers a wide range of dog grooming services as well as treats and must-have pet accessories.
Visit Moggy & Mutt website.
Moggy and doggy-minding
When you’re flat out with work, contact an experienced, reliable minder to keep your pet company or take them out for walks.
- Doggy Walking – This Mosman business offers a range of services including dog walking, pet sitting and puppy training.
Visit Doggy Walking website.
- Pitter Patter Paws – Summer Butler is a vet nurse by training and recommends group dog walking. She is also available to sleep over so your pet can stay in a familiar environment.
Visit Pitter Patter Paws website.
- Canine and Co Australia – Offering dog walking, pet care and pet sitting, the owners of this business send regular updates and photos when caring for your pet.
In case of emergency
If your beloved pet has a health scare outside of business hours, Mosman Veterinary Hospital in the heart of Mosman is very well-equipped and has nursing staff onsite 24hrs a day. Call 9190 6922 or visit http://www.mosmanvet.com.au/.