Our team at DeBrennan recently sold a property in Mosman that came with a rare Development Approved (DA) status. DAs are formal requests with the local council to carry out development at a residential, commercial, or industrial site. DA status makes a property more attractive to buyers. It is an assurance that the future development of the site will not infringe on residential amenity or the environment and preserves heritage.
Since the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic, Mosmanites have expressed more interest in home renovations now that they are spending more time at home. There is a lot of due diligence and thought involved with obtaining a DA from your local council. Given this, we at DeBrennan thought it would be a great time to share insights into applying to Mosman Council to obtain a Development Approval.
Mosman development proposals
The Mosman Council has received, on average, one new development application per month over the last several months. A quick look at the Mosman development applications reveals the kind of work Mosmanites are prioritising. Amongst the requests are:
- Renovations, alterations, and additions to an existing property
- Modification to existing floor plans
- Addition of studios, offices, and sheds
- Installation of lifts and stairs
- Addition of carports and garages
- Landscaping and decking
- Installation of fences and gates
- Tree removal
- Construction of swimming pools and cabanas
- Solar panel installation
Mosmanites who want to stay abreast of development applications being submitted to Mosman’s Council can sign up to track Planning Alerts.
Mosman is known and appreciated for its harbour setting, topography, vegetation, and unique architectural expressions. It is a goal of the Mosman Council to protect the local character while facilitating a framework for development.
Residents, property investors, and developers interested in applying for DA status should visit the Mosman Council website to review the DA checklist.
Seeking help with the process
The development application process is fairly straightforward, but it can be lengthy and time-consuming. While it is entirely possible to go it alone, our team recommends enlisting professional help to improve the chances of success.
Several companies specialise in development applications:
- The Council Approval Experts boast 50 years of experience and staff who were former council members and thus understand the ins and outs of the development application process.
- Outlook Planning and Development bills itself as the planning experts for Mosman. They promise to help clients navigate through the Mosman Development Controls Plan (DCP) and requirements of the Mosman Local Environmental Plans (LEP) to obtain DA status.
- KINKFAB specialises in the production of DA models to help with approval for projects seeking DA status.
How the process works: length and cost
Applicants can expect to spend most of their time dealing with the Mosman Development Advisory Unit (DAU) throughout the DA process. Experienced in development planning, the DAU can identify and solve minor problems with your application before it is lodged.
We recommend downloading and reviewing the Development Application Guide, Matrix, and Detailed Checklist from the Mosman Council website. It provides detailed information about the process. Applicants also will want to familiarise themselves with information about developments Mosman Council considers exempt.
Some of the information applicants can expect to provide includes:
- Description of the improvements/renovations
- How the site will be used
- Total estimated cost
- Neighbour notification letter
- Schedule of materials and finishes
- Letter of support (if applicable)
- Development application form
- Statement of environmental effects
- Plan set
Once a DA request is lodged, it can take 30 to 100 days or longer to receive council approval. As for cost, it is important to ensure the DA documentation is in order before submitting the request. The Council will calculate and advise the required fee and the application reference number via email.
Work with the experts
DeBrennan’s team of real estate experts can help Mosmanites quantify whether a renovation will increase the value of their home. We can help ensure property owners do not overcapitalise. Get in touch today for a no-obligation discussion.